Coconut milk is a thick non-transparent liquid made from edible parts of fully fledged coconut. Coconut milk or coconut is a traditional ingredient used in making food in Asian and African continents.
Taste and quality of milk is due to its high oil content (Saturated fat).Coconut milk is differentiated based on the amount of fat deposited in milk, coconut cream (with the highest amount of fat), coconut milk(holds 20% of fat), coconut skim milk (least amount of fat).
HOW TO MAKE COCONUT MILK
- One should find a fresh matured coconut and break it into half. Collect the coconut water in a glass and keep aside.
- Grate the coconut with the help of a grater. Add the grated coconut into the grinder and grind it.
- Add some amount of coconut water/water to the grinder and run it again.
- Once it's done put the mix into muslin cloth and squeeze out to remove coconut milk.
- Again add back the coconut to the mixer and repeat the procedure 3 to 4 times so that all the milk is separated.
COCONUT MILK USED FOR
Coconut milk is used in households for making/preparing food.
Curries and sausage are the best with coconut milk, adding coconut milk to curries of both veg and non-veg will add good flavor and provide thick base for curry.
Coconut milk is used in manufacturing coconut ice creams, cream, and sweets which is tastier and healthier.
Now a days bartender are using coconut milk in making cocktails like coconut margarita, Pina colada, Bahama Mama, Coconut Martini, Coconut Key Lime Momtini etc.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF COCONUT MILK
Olden days our ancestors used to use coconut oil, coconut milk, & byproducts of coconut for hair, skin, and for other healthy benefits. Nearly every part of coconut is used in one or other way.
A Basic composition of coconut milk that is extracted from a well grown coconut, fat in the milk can vary with preserved or processed milk.
In every 1 liter of Coconut milk:
1690 calories / 6970 KJ
146g saturated fat
Coconut is made of fatty acids, lauric acid, and it's lactose-free which are helpful in building up good health.
- Coconut milk is made of saturated fat that is medium-chain saturated fatty acids which is easily digestible and breakable.
- Unlike other milk(cow, buffalo or any other mammal milk) Coconut milk is lactose free and can be used by people with lactose intolerance and allergy.
- Coconut milk is made of lauric acid, which helps in making monolaurin inside the body. Monolaurin is an antimicrobial, anti fungal, and anti-inflammatory that aids in killing/fighting against diseases causing bacteria.
- Consuming coconut milk can help in reducing stomach ulcers as it holds anti-inflammatory properties.
USE OF COCONUT MILK ON SKIN AND HAIR
Apart from flavoring coconut milk has healthy benefits on hair and skin when it's directly or indirectly applied. Rich in healthy fatty acids, proteins and vitamin E, coconut milk has excellent moisturizing and repairing properties which can give you amazing hair and skin.
Most people's skin loses its elasticity and softness at an early age. This is caused due to a reduction of vitamin C’ in the body. A freshly grinded coconut and apply it all over your face and let it for 20-30min you and wash your face. This will help one’s skin in regaining moisture.
Coconut milk can be used as a natural makeup remover which is chemical free and suits all types of skin. Take freshly grinded tender coconut and separate coconut milk from that. Make a cotton ball and dip it in coconut milk and gently rub it on your face, fatty acids present in milk will help in removing greasy makeup and leave nourishing skin behind.
Sunburn is caused due to excess exposure of skin to strong rays, this can cause irritation and inflammation on skin. Use a cotton pad to apply milk on the burned place of skin this will reduce redness and inflammation.
Coconut oil is rich in vitamin C and E which is important in maintaining skin elasticity. Take a small amount of coconut milk and apply it on skin 3 in a week. It will offer moisture and supple skin.
Restores damaged hair
Coconut is rich in many nutrients and a good moisturizer. Applying coconut milk for hair would help in reducing dryness in hair and repair damaged hair. Coconut oil can be used as a conditioner after 25 minutes of taking a bath.